Saturday, May 7, 2011

This blog post turned into mostly whining, I'm sorry!

When I moved to town, I had this wonderful mental plan all worked out. By walking distances and up and down hills carrying groceries and such all the time, I'd finally get a proper cardiovascular system! *throws confetti*

It has been a lifelong goal of mine to finally get to the point where I can exert myself at all without practically sucking the leaves off of trees I pass, so this plan was legitimately awesome, in my mind. And now it's been over four months, and now when I walk up hills I- appear to have an interest in becoming a human vacuum.

It is getting quite frustrating, to be honest. I got halfway to the mall today, (going to watch a movie, (Thor, it was fun,)) and I almost cried from the sheer frustration of my lungs not keeping up with the rest of me. The rest of my body was rested and ready to go- and my throat was closing. AUUUGGGHHHHHHHH. (ahem.)

I don't like to think of myself as a physical weakling, and in fact for a number of years I've identified myself as being the person who can totally walk 14 km just for the heck of it. And instead to not being able to break over the barrier and get the taste of blood out of my mouth? Seriously, it should not take four months to get my lungs working...

That was my mental state. And then recently I flashed back to a doctor's appt a few years ago when I had this cough I couldn't kick. I was told that I have reactive airways, which was basically a mild form of asthma. I read this as being told "it's all in your head, here, have a placebo," and wikipedia seemed to back that up. Now though, I'm wondering if I should speak to a doctor about actually getting a puffer. Or an actual "it's all in your head" verdict.

I mean, I've walked enough that I've actually developed muscles in my legs, and most of the walking has been up and down hills. However, I have not gotten at all less gaspy about walking up and down those hills. I have to stop and get my breath back at the top of every one- and there are a lot. That doesn't seen like an issue other people have, so much?

Oh, I'm probably just making a mountain out of a molehill. I'll tell you more about Thor later. :D

4 comments:

Spartezda said...

I vote visit doctor, because taste of blood and throat closing is Not Correct for bodies at that level of exertion.

Snazel said...

Oh yes, true, you would know. *considers*

However, I don't have a family doctor right now, so I think I'd have to go to Emergency? Is that how it works?

Spartezda said...

Sadly, I am unsure how Canada's system works...as far as I would guess, Emergency/Urgent Care is usually not the first choice for chronic low-level issues. But I don't know how you'd go about seeing an ordinary physician.

Snazel said...

My family doctor is 4 hours away by car, and I don't have a car. So there's that. :P

I guess Emerg is the only way to go? Not even sure what they'd do, other than a pulmonary test...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Just the numbers, sir...