Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Poem of the Day # 19

The Art of Response
Audre Lorde

The first answer was incorrect
the second was
sorry      the third trimmed its toenails
on the Vatican steps
the fourth went mad
the fifth
nursed a grudge until it bore twins
that drank poisoned grape joyce in Jonestown
the sixth    wrote a book about it
the seventh
argued a case before the Supreme Court
against taxation on Girl Scout Cookies
the eighth held a news conference
while four Black babies
and one other      picketed New York City
for a hospital bed to die in
the ninth and tenth swore
Revenge on the Opposition
and the eleventh dug their graves
next to Eternal Truth
the twelfth
processed funds from a Third World country
the provides doctors for Central Harlem
the thirteenth
refused
the fourteenth sold cocaine and shamrocks
near a toilet in the Big Apple circus
the fifteenth
changed the question.

from Our Dead Behind Us

2 comments:

Bahnree said...

Oh my I love this.

lol I am the worst poetry commentator ever. "I LOVE THIS.:D:D:D:D" "I HATE THIS.>:("

Snazel said...

Heheheh, but I'm reacting the same way when I see it? It's not as though I have anything clever to say I'm just THOSE WORDS ARE GOOD ONES AND I LIKE THE WAY THEY ARE LINED UP.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Just the numbers, sir...