Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Still breathing, still kicking, still cruising youtube.

International Studies class was today! So far it's always been interesting, both because of the subject matter and because I never have any idea what to expect. ;-) At any rate, today we popped up to the Algonquin Hotel in Saint Andrew's to listen to a talk. (Related note-- that hotel won at life. They had free coffee and the building was FABULOUS.

The main thrust of the talk was about how mis-information-- another way of saying Stereotype-- impedes communication. It also started me thinking about how treating someone as though you can know them because you know their religion, occupation, hobby, financial standing or what they look like is an enterprise doomed to failure, but that's something I need to let percolate a bit more.

But thinking about stereotypes made me think of the Jesus Dub videos. The Vintage21 church put them together to demonstrate what popular culture thinks The Church is all about, and how much of a hilariously bad idea it was to run an organization that way. So both to say "this isn't what we're about!" to people outside and "this isn't what we should be about!" to people inside. Anyhow, without further ado-- the videos!





He also played the Star Wars theme, but sadly I missed it.
Another reason the Algonquin Hotel won at life? They have a piper on staff.

Really, I think nothing more I could say about the awesomeness of the situation could possibly shed any more light.

BAGPIPER ON STAFF.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go weep over my French in preparation for tomorrow's exam.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Just the numbers, sir...