Thursday, August 5, 2010

Astonishing X-Men Vol. 4: Unstoppable, Joss Whedon and John Cassaday

This is a terrible cover picture, for an awesome book. Sorry.

I couldn't find a larger english version!

Ahem. Let's continue with the story. The art is beautiful and amazing, but it was through the entire last three books, so I don't think it hardly even needs to be mentioned. (I made a desperately complicated sentence with lots of negatives! Go me!) Though I did tell my younger brothers they HAD to read it, and then realized only later that there are some incidences of *cough* minimal clothing on girls. One girl, really, but yeah. Little to no clothing. ^_^ Oops? I'll add that to the list of things I'll atone for in purgatory.

And then we get to the story. I'm gonna talk in spoilers, so if'n your the delicate sort you might want to stay away. Ahem. In the previous books we met Ord, and saw his freakishnes-ness, and then found out that he kinda maybe had a reason to hate mutants, given that there's a prophecy by some precogs that a Mutant is going to destroy his world. Colossus, specifically, is going to destroy his entire planet, the Breakworld. Any minute now. So of course S.H.I.E.L.D and S.P.E.A.R. (or whatever the heck weapons they're named for,) immediately send Colossus, his GF, his buddies, Ord and the killer A.I. wired to kill them all- to the Breakworld. What could go wrong!

Heh. Heh. Heh. Heh.

Well actually I'm getting ahead of myself, because we start with a nice look at the Breakworld from the inside, so to speak. We follow a person in a red cape around, as she talks about how brutish, nasty and short life is here. Of course, later we find out that she's not exactly what you'd call a "reliable narrator," but w/e. Look at the pretty explosions! Yes, those fireballs you see are the X-men, landing in a controlled and delicate fashion. Or as Logan puts it. "I'm gonna be another half hour regrowing my skin. You can cry into my bubbling shoulder if you want." (There were other parts of that quote, but WHO NEEDS THEM. That's right, no one.)

So after doing a very subtle night insertion into the Breakworld, the X-men tiptoe about researching and making tea for the inhabitants. Also, Scott and Emma have a touching and very sweet make-out session underwater, and Kitty and Logan decide to make a baby.

You may care to know that one or more of those statements in the above paragraph was a lie! I just thought you should know.

And the ending? In the words of my 15 year old brother who I beat around the head with a shoe until he agreed to read it, (before you worry, he didn't take TOO much beating;) "That sucks!"

I gave it five stars out of five. *huggles book*

2 comments:

Bahnree said...

Such good quotes. XD I need them.

Also, yeah, the ending sucked, although considering the always-in-motion-the-future-is sort of storylines X-men gets, I'm guessing it won't necessarily stay....sucky. XD

Snazel said...

Yeah, dude, the quotes are amazing. You should do a post with them. :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Just the numbers, sir...