Monday, December 7, 2009

My Discovery Of England, Stephen Leacock

This book was published in 1922, and since it deals with Current Culture and Affairs, it's a bit like looking into a time machine.

Mr. Leacock published this volume of his impressions of the British Isles after going on a humorous lecture tour there, and he covers Prohibition, Education, Publishing, Capitalism and Humour, among others, in very amusing fashion. I read some of this aloud, and it is even more dryly hilarious when spoken.

I can't say I agreed with all of his views. The suggestion that women not be educated made me glower just a bit, for example. (But I'm willing to take that as opinion from a different time and move on, since his descriptions of traveling made me chortle out loud.) Worth reading just for the descriptions of traveling and education, (as well as prohibition.)

I gave it three stars out of five.

4 comments:

Bahnree said...

Do you know what's up with the yellow covers? Do yellow covers denote primary sources?? Cuz I got a book at the library for a research paper last about Edgar Allen Poe, and it was like some person who wrote about Poe soon after he died or something. Like a contemporary biography? And the cover was similar but like there was no info about the compiler or publisher or the book itself, really, inside...you just had to get stuff from context? IT'S A MYSTERY.

Good review though. ^_^ I want to read this one.

Snazel said...

I do no know what is up with yellow covers. Trufax. Actually, the real cover that I read was not on goodreads, so I used this one cause it looked professional. :D You're the lit major! I'm just the teller!

Bahnree said...

lol okay!!! Just thought I'd ask. Cuz, you know, sometimes you know stuff....cuz you're all...knowledgeable and newsy and stuff....

Snazel said...

Hehehe. *blushes* I'm flattered. But I know NOTHING. *nods*

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Just the numbers, sir...