Friday, January 1, 2010

Hush, Hush, Becca Fitzpatrick

I'm still not sure what I think about the romance in this book. And I've been thinking about it for two weeks now. See, the plot is that due to a seat shuffle, Nora ends up being Biology partners with Patch, who no one knows anything about. Well, to be honest, they know a LITTLE, which is that he's new, and probably bad news. Nora's friend Vee thinks that she should totally take advantage of the biology pairing to study sexual behaviour (if you know what I mean and I think that you do,) but Nora is slightly freaked out by the bad boy.

She gets slightly more freaked out when he starts showing obvious interest. And by obvious, I mean the story happens to contain some great sketchy exchanges, including one of my all-time favourites.
(So he tells her she looks good, and then this happens.)
"You smell good too," said Patch.
"It's called a shower." I was staring straight ahead. When he didn't answer, I turned sideways. "Soap. Shampoo. Hot water."
"Naked. I know the drill."
And he takes her out to his dangerous haunts, and keeps being attentive and obviously interested, and against her better judgment she starts being interested back. Then basically it all goes to heck in a premium hand basket. Random pretty boys show up and stalking her, (and not in a Twilight, dawww-he-really-cares way, in a OMG-He's-Bigger-Than-Me-And-He-Knows-It-And-No-One-Else-Belives-Me-That-He's-Scary way.) Someone important is hospitalized for trying to protect Nora, and she might be going insane. Plus, Patch keeps not being trustworthy. But he really looks like he might be fun to kiss.... Not Trustworthy! Fun to Kiss! Not Trustworthy! Fun to MORE than kiss! He looks way too comfortable with that knife in his hand... Doesn't he look comfortable? If you know what I mean and I think you do. Etc, Etc. :D

I'm not sure if I like this romance or not, especially given some grand reveals which I will not tell you here! *gloats*Okay just a few. (Maybe he's being seductive because he has ulterior motives beyond a cheap hotel room, and maybe you keep feeling in danger for a reason? Just saying...)

It's a very fast read, and I can attest to the fact that it will serve in place of pain-killers for a moderate stomach ache. :D I'm not saying I loved it entirely. I have this thing with falling in love with the MMC, and despite my love of bad boys in fiction, Patch wasn't really my cup of tea. Not enough menace, or something? He's got some awesome lines though! Really Excellent sketchy lines. :D GJ Patch

I very much enjoyed reading it, but I did feel lost at the end. E.g. Wait, what happened? It's OVER? But, we were just in the middle of things! I hear that the sequel is being written, which I will definitely seek out and read. I found this FUN, but a little too much like Twilight for me to put it in my "faves" pile. The characters didn't set up residence in my head, which I would like them too! (I mean, Helloooo Patch. You need a place to stay?) :D I gave it three stars out of five.

2 comments:

Bahnree said...

^______^ I love your reviews. Have I mentioned this? This book sounds lolzy.

Snazel said...

Yay! I'm glad you like. :D You motivate me to keep reading and writing them. :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Just the numbers, sir...