Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Soul To Lose, Rachel Vincent

This was actually a free prequel novella, that I got online, here. ^_^ I'm all about the free books lately, I know.

Kaylee has always had "issues" with panic attacks. But she knows how to deal with them- leave the area- and it's never been a real issue. Until the day a fun afternoon of mall-shopping and plotting revenge on her rat of an ex-boyfriend goes badly awry. She has a public freakout, to the point that she can't stop screaming.

It's officially The Worst Day Ever.

Until she wakes up in the psychiatric ward of the hospital. Okay, the day just got worse...

This is intended to be a teaser for the "real stories" and I'd say it worked marvellously. I loved the portion in the psych ward, especially her snarky responses to the Doctor's questioning. *beams at the memory*

Nurse Nancy: “Have you had a bowel movement today?”
Me: “No comment.”
Nurse Nancy: “Do you still feel like hurting yourself?”
Me: “I never did. I’m really more of a self- pamperer.”

Dr. Nelson: “Do you have a medical history of obesity, asthma, seizures, cirrhosis, hepatitis, HIV, migraines, chronic pain, arthritis, or spinal problems?”
Me: “Are you serious?”
Dr. Nelson: “Do you have any family history of mental instability?”
Me: “Yes. My cousin thinks she’s twenty-one. My aunt thinks she’s eighteen. I’d call them both mentally unstable.”
Dr. Nelson: “Do you now, or have you ever, used or abused caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, cocaine, amphetamines, or opiates?”
Me: “Oh, yeah. All of it. What else am I supposed to do in study hall? In fact, I better get my stash back from your rent-a-cop when I check out of here.”

It seemed like her release from the hospital seemed curiously easy. An eccentricity of the american system? (And she didn't start screaming when Lydia was there at the end, so it means she comes back, yes? Please?) I want Lydia to come back because this character really wasn't explained, more than because I liked the character. I mean there was potential, for sure, but she was just introduced and then the story stopped! *pouts* I would really like it if the next story pursued the phych ward angle further, but the impression I get is that it will follow a teen-romance vein. But I suppose I'll have to read it, to find out. :D

I think the idea is really interesting, and very well done. I gave it three stars out of five.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Just the numbers, sir...